Solid-state drives (SSD) are becoming standards storage in computers. They are usually smaller than hard disk drives (HDD). Also, these drives allow for fast data transfer. However, older machines don’t have slots to fit SSDs. However, there are adapters created to allow mounting solid-state drives into mSATA ports. When you want to replace a drive, adding an adapter improve performance.
Normally, M.2 PCIe Adapters is faster compared to mSATA SSD. Although they are designed for similar drives, they are not compatible. Therefore, you can’t plug them in in same port. It is this reason that M.2 PCIe Adapters exist to make the work easier. Moreover, the M.2 can support PCIe 3.0, SATA 3.0, and USB 3.0 interfaces. Due to this compatibility, it allows them to support extremely high-speed data. To enjoy speed and versatility, find the best M.2 PCIE adapters reviewed below.
M.2 PCIe Adapters Buying Guide
When it’s time to buy M.2 PCIe adapters, many people might encounter difficulties. But here are some of a few tips to maintain.
- Motherboard Compatibility: The motherboard compatibility is one of the most significant features to check. Different adapters are for various motherboards. Without right one, it gives you headache since there is no compatibility. Therefore, before buying an M.2 PCI-E Adapters, it is vital to check on your machine.
- Heat Management: Every component in a computer is prone to get hot. Heating is one of the biggest problems in computers performance. Since these adapters are designed for high performance, they are prone to getting extreme heating. Having cooling mechanism is therefore vital in enabling consistent performance. Devices enhanced with heat sinks are ideal since they allow efficient heat dissipation.
- Ports Compatibility: The compatibility with ports is also an excellent feature to check. With different cards designed to work in various machines, it’s critical to check on the ports. Some of the adapters are compatible and supports more than one port. Therefore it is possible to fit different drives without an additional connector. Some are compatible with mSATA while others support USB connection.
Best M.2 PCIe Adapters in 2021
- 10. ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 3.0 X4 Expansion Card V2 Supports
- 9. YATENG Dual M.2 PCIe Adapter for SATA or PCIe NVMe SSD
- 8. QNINE NVME Adapter M.2 SSD Key M to PCI Express Expansion Card
- 7. SIIG M.2 SSD M Key Nvme PCIe 3.0 X4 Low & Full Profile Card Adapter
- 6. EZDIY-FAB PCI Express M.2 SSD NGFF PCIe Card Adapter
- 5. StarTech M.2 Adapter – x4 PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD PCIe M.2 Adapter
- 4. SSK Aluminum USB 3.1 Gen 2 M.2 NVME SSD Enclosure Adapter
- 3. Mailiya M.2 PCIe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter
- 2. SilverStone Technology Dual M2 to PCI-E X4 & SATA 6G Adapter Card
- 1. Lycom DT-120 M.2 PCIe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter
10. ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 PCIe 3.0 X4 Expansion Card V2 Supports
The Asus hyper M.2 X16 Pie is a powerful card designed for exceptional speed. It’s one of the latest development that enables you to enjoy easy connectivity. In fact, it is purposely created for Intel Virtual RAID as well as AMD Ryzen Threadripper platform. Therefore, it’s a versatile card that enables people with different computer platforms to use it. Besides, it supports VROC for people using Intel and NVMe RAID for AM platforms.
The available 4 M.2 slots are great for accommodating up to 126 Gbps bandwidth per card. This is an exceptional speed that allows your computer to enjoy updated speed. The construction entails the highest quality materials, which mean fast heat dissipation. Also, there is integrated fan that helps in cooling this platform. As a result, there is maintained performance without overheating. Above all, the new two-phase power provides up to 14W output.
- Works with Intel and AMD platforms
- Improved power output
- Extra fast bandwidth
- Only one shows when more are connected
9. YATENG Dual M.2 PCIe Adapter for SATA or PCIe NVMe SSD
As computer technology change, it is ideal to have the latest feature on your machine. This adapter M.2 adapter by Yateng is allowing you to use different SSDs without struggles. It is easy to install on the motherboard, which allows everyone to fit quickly. Amazingly, this card is dedicated to supporting 2 SSD at a go. Therefore, a great way to expand your storage capacity and overall computer speed.
For computers without M.2 slot, this adapter is highly reliable and enables easy conversion. In fact, it can also, convert one M.2 to PCIe 3.0 x4 interface is also compatible with PCIe 2.0. Additionally, the card allows M.2 to be converted to 6Gbps SATA. For maintained performance, it boasts cooling due to top-notch materials. Combination of 5 copper holes and 2 heat sink s ensure there is no freezing due to overheating. Using this device is simple as well as installation since there are no drivers needed.
- No drivers needed
- Flexible installation
- Top-quality heat sinks
- LED data transfer light
- Slower than competitors
8. QNINE NVME Adapter M.2 SSD Key M to PCI Express Expansion Card
For people using older computers, there is a need to upgrade or add storage capacity. With SSDs available these days, it is worth to upgrade your machine. However, without an adapter, you are not going to achieve it. The QNINE NVME Adapter is created to convert M.2 key M to PCI expansion card. This means you can add more storage drives and increase how your machine performs. The card enjoys blazing 3200+ MB/s read, and 1500+ MB/s Write speed. This creates higher rate than latest USB interfaces.
The heavy-duty motherboard is created to provide years of high performance. Additionally, the shell grove heat sink increases the rate of cooling. Even when used for high tasks like gaming, the heat sink allows the drive to cool faster. Unlike other adapters, this has a thermal pad that complements heat sinks. Above all, it supports Windows 10/8/7 and Linux.
- Supports different OS
- Faster than other interfaces
- Enhanced heat management
- Doesn’t support M.2 SATA SSD
7. SIIG M.2 SSD M Key Nvme PCIe 3.0 X4 Low & Full Profile Card Adapter
The type of drive powering your computer is one determinant of the speed. This Siig M.2 M key converter is one way to speed up a machine. It is a compact adapter that is capable of transforming your device to accept SSD. Interestingly, the adapter is tasked with increasing one M.2 PCIe SSD on your motherboard. This enables addition of a storage drive hence more space. This eliminates the use of external drives.
This accessory is versatile compared to other existing on the market. It supports a variety of platforms like 2230, 2242, 2260 & 2280 form factor M.2 SSDs. The ability to support these platforms is due to the enhanced multiple connection holes. Remarkably, the adapter can support PCIe 3.0 and backward PCIe 1.0 and PCIe 2.0motherboards. THz quick and effortless set up means once you have its ready for use. In fact, it doesn’t need drivers and includes low and full profile bracket for effortless installation.
- Backward motherboard compatibility
- Multiple mounting holes
- Low and full profile slots compatible
- No robust heat sink
6. EZDIY-FAB PCI Express M.2 SSD NGFF PCIe Card Adapter
As you plan to upgrade your computer, some accessories must be in mind. The drive adapter is among the top priorities. This EZDIY-FAB PCIe Card Adapter is one of the ideal to transform your machine successfully. With the ability to support PCIe 3.0, PCIe 2.0, and PCIe 1.0 motherboards it is a versatile version to get. Also, it’s purposely made to work with M keys hence ideal for different computers. With several mounting holes, it means compatibility and installation are piece of cake.
Regardless of our native OS, there is no set up needed when you install this adapter. Also, the included full profile and low profile brackets allows easy compatibility with different interfaces. Consequently, you can use the adapter in different computers, including SFF. Apart from compatibility, this accessory is compliant with 39Gbps PCI 3.0. Thus, you can expect exceptional speed once mounted.
- Slim and compact
- LED power indicator
- Multi-OS compatible
- Not compatible with SATA connection
5. StarTech M.2 Adapter – x4 PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD PCIe M.2 Adapter
StarTech SSD PCIe M.2 Adapter is key in adding more drives mounting slots. Also, if you want to buy a different type of SSD, it gives you the ability to mount without much headache. The amazing thing is this adapter lets you connect Pie M.2 SSD to your machine for quick and easy access. Also, the connection enables extra-fast data access than with older version slots. Actually, this expansion slot supports most of the drives measuring 110mm, 80mm, 60mm, and 42mm.
The product offers impressive reliability and improved performance. This means there are no more lags when using computers for gaming or video editing. Boasting great motherboards compatibility, it’s ideal for PCIe 3.0. Moreover, backward compatibility lets it work with PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 1.0. For versatile installation, this card is compatible with full and low profile bracket hence ideal for SSF.
- Ultra-fast data access
- Backward motherboard compatibility
- Supports different sized drives
- Doesn’t support SATA and USB
4. SSK Aluminum USB 3.1 Gen 2 M.2 NVME SSD Enclosure Adapter
Connecting your SSD to your computer significantly improved speed and data access. Instead of buying a new machine, you can upgrade your existing one. All you need to have is this SSK USB 3.1 adapter and enjoy an easy way to fix your drive. It’s an enclosure specifically designed to accommodate NVMe M-Key M.2 SSD. Despite its compact design, the device allows thrilling data transfer. Superior design lets it work consistently without being affected by heat. In actual fact, the large copper strips and thermal pad combine to deliver reliable heat dissipation.
The exterior shell is durable to keep drives safe from impact and other risks. Made from aluminum material, it’s lightweight and adds cooling efficiency. Fitting drive in this adapter is one of the easiest. With only screwdriver and 2 screws, it is ready for your use. Astonishingly, the adapter is suitable for use with different devices like smartphones and computers. Also, it works with variety of Operating systems without drivers’ requirement.
- Compact and portable
- Easy USB connection
- Strong aluminum case
- Can’t be mounted on a motherboard
3. Mailiya M.2 PCIe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter
Mailiya adapter readily converts M.2 to PCIe 3.0 x4. This gives the user an easy time to add SSD into their computers. This not only makes computer light but also gives it more speed. Additionally, this accessory is useful since it supports PCIe Gen3 and PCIe Gen2. As a result, it can fit SSD measuring 80, 60, 42, and 30mm. This quality makes it versatile and ideal for many users.
The support for dual-sided SSD module and being compliant to 39Gbps PCI makes it one of the superior adapters. Therefore, it gives your computer ability to increase speed and data retrieval. Also, high write and read speed translate to more fun when working on your machine. Equipped with red and green LED lights, they give you power and data transfer status. Above all, industrial temperatures working range give this adapter a wide area of application.
- RoHS compliant
- Works under the different temperature range
- LED status indicator
- Not compatible with B keys
2. SilverStone Technology Dual M2 to PCI-E X4 & SATA 6G Adapter Card
By: SilverStone Technology
Silverstone Technology adapter is one of its kind. It enables people to use SATA SSD without requiring a technician. Therefore, it perfectly suits users with a need to add speed to their machines. Instead of getting an external SSD, this adapter enables installation even on older motherboards. By adding M.2 to run through PCI-E interface, it means you enjoy up to 32Gbps speed. With speed and more storage capacity, computers can enjoy excellent performance.
Besides, the M.2 slot is available which enables connecting to SATA III port. This increases the storage potential hence great for more data. Amazingly, the unit is designed to support up to 2 SSD simultaneously. Unlike HDD, this creates room for additional space for people, with extensive data. This adapter is plug and use since it doesn’t need driver’s installation.
- Supports 2 drives simultaneously
- Versatile connection options
- Plug and use design
- Only compatible with desktop computers
See Also: Top 10 Best Liquid CPU Coolers in 2021
1. Lycom DT-120 M.2 PCIe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter
The Lycom M.2 PCIe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter is the right thing to make your life smooth. Socially, if you have an older model computer, you can now enable it to run on SSD. Specifically, it uses M.2 PCIe to enable drive work with main board PCIe x4 bus slot. With multiple plated holes, the adapter is suitable for type 2280, 2260, and 2242 SSD. As a result, it creates versatile usability compared to others that support one type of drive.
When the device is working, this adapter has an LED light which gives you the status. The low profile factor means there is easy mounting on SFF computers. Additionally, the accessory boasts dual-side support on the bottom part. Due to its thin nature, the device is suitable and doesn’t occupy a lot of space. Ideal for all OS, it’s an excellent add-on to boost your computer performance.
- Supports industrial working temperature
- Backward compatible
- Non-heating design
- Screws are a bit long
To solve the SSD compatibility issues in your computer M.2 PCIe adapters are the ultimate ways. They are easy and cheap options than overhauling your motherboard. Therefore, no need to spend fortunes while these adapters will let you enjoy a great job.