Mopping and vacuuming floors, cleaning carpets and blowing off the dirt from other kinds of surfaces are essential activities. As a matter of fact, these activities can take a lot of time and energy if you don’t have the right equipment.
A wet-dry vacuum cleaner cleans off the dust, debris, liquid spills, and pet hairs leaving the floor, carpet or area rug tidy and spotless. Besides, having a wet-dry vacuum cleaner can also prove extremely useful, especially in the event of emergencies such as burst pipes. A good wet-dry vac gives you versatility as you can clean many types of floors. Also, as we’ll see in this review, some vacuum cleaners are perfect for vacuuming cars.
With a well-chosen wet dry vacuum cleaner, you don’t need to buy several tools. These vacs are multipurpose tools for cleaning water spills and extracting dirt and debris on surfaces.
Tips On How to Select the Best Wet Dry Vacuum Cleaner
Wet-dry vacs come at different sizes, weights, capabilities, and prices. Therefore, knowing what to consider when buying a wet dry vacuum cleaner helps to ensure you get one that meets your needs.
Let’s quickly look at the features you should pay close attention to when you go shopping for a wet-dry vacuum cleaner.
1. Weight: You want to have a vacuum cleaner that you can carry around easily. Remember to check the weight of any vac you are considering for purchase and make sure you are comfortable with it.
2. Power: A great vacuum cleaner should have a strong motor that produces enough suction. On what do you intend to use the new vac? Answering this question will provide insight into how strong the suction should be. Generally, anything above 2HP (a measure of horsepower) is strong enough for most household vacuuming tasks.
3. Size of the tank: The bigger the container, the longer it will take to get filled up, which means the longer you can use your vacuum cleaner. For instance, a 2-gallon tank may be sufficient for cleaning everyday messes around the home. However, if you intend to use the vac for drying flooded basements, you need a vac with a bigger tank. One with a 5-gallon tank is more appropriate.
- Storage: Will the vacuum cleaner fit easily into the storage space you have? Some vacs can be mounted on the wall to save ground space. Others come with onboard storage for the accompanying accessories. Choose a vac that you can store without too much fuss.
- Water filtration: Vacuum cleaners that utilize water filtration produce clean air for the room. Water filtration also makes it easy for the vac to switch between wet and dry cleaning. Also, debris disposal is easier with water filtration.
4. Price: Of course, you want to buy a wet-dry vacuum cleaner whose price is within your budget. But even with that in mind, it is advisable to prioritize getting quality over making money savings. A high-quality vac will do the work efficiently for longer, which means you’ll not have to spend more money on a new vac any time soon.
Best Wet-Dry Vacuum Cleaners in 2020
Let’s now review each of the top-performing vacuum cleaners on the market. These reviews will help you to evaluate the features and pros and cons of these vacs.
10. Karcher WD5/P Multi-Purpose Wet Dry Vacuum Cleaner
By: KarcherGet it now on Amazon.com
Starting off our list is one of Karcher’s best products, the WD5/P. Most noteworthy, this multipurpose wet dry vacuum cleaner uses semi-automatic filter cleaning technology. This technology delivers powerful water filtration and unrivaled cleaning performance. In addition, a built-in blower coupled with an 1800-watt motor makes sure that that the vac cleaner quickly removes dirt and debris from hard-to-reach areas. Karcher’s WD5/P’s tank has a capacity of 6.6 gallons which means you can use it for a wide variety of applications including draining flooded basements.
The cleaner is constructed with glass-filled nylon, which can withstand high pressure better than PVC. The cleaner also features a variable suction control for optimizing airflow when working on different surfaces. Besides, it has an onboard power tool outlet with auto start/stop for hands-free cleaning. The vac has a 12-inch cleaning path.
- Great for cleaning hard floors and medium to low pile carpets
- Don’t need to swap filter for wet cleaning
- Filter is easy to clean without taking out
- 2-year warranty with Rapid Exchange Program – for free and quick vacuum replacement
- Nicely designed onboard storage for all attachments
- Excellent rolling characteristics
- High durability construction
- Low CFM and performance for its price
- No brush roll for deep cleaning carpets
- Some users complain that carrying the vac upstairs can be difficult
- The cord is too short for large homes
9. DeWALT DXV09P 9-Gallon Poly Wet/Dry Vac
By: DEWALTGet it now on Amazon.com
The design of DeWalt DXV09P combines many cleaning tools and attachments ideal for small to large pickups in workshops and construction sites. First, its 9-gallon canister, sturdy ergonomic handle, and big rear wheels automatically tell you that it is ideal for large cleanup applications. Secondly, it is compatible with heavy-duty extension power cords.
DeWalt DXV09P features swiveling casters that provide smooth 360-degrees movements. A dust cartridge filter enables cleaning of small dry debris as well as wet materials. Another critical feature to note is the disposable paper filter bag. This bag helps to get rid of vacuumed dry dirt more effectively. Finally, a 5HP peak power motor powers this vacuum cleaner. The motor promises suction strong enough for tough cleanup jobs at home as well as professional workshop and construction sites.
- Large tank drain
- Powerful blower that can blow debris and sawdust from any workshop
- Comes with a built-in accessory storage bag
- Four casters for easy tight turns
- Easy to use and maintain
- Exceptional hose and cord management
- A 10-feet cord is a bit short
- You may have to purchase an extension cord, which is an extra cost
8. CRAFTSMAN-CMXEVBE17595 Heavy-Duty Shop Vacuum
By: CraftsmanGet it now on Amazon.com
Featuring CRAFTSMAN’S most powerful motor (6.5 peak HP), this 16-gallon wet dry heavy-duty shop vacuum is a force to reckon with. Evidently, handling large cleanup projects in garages and construction is a breeze with this masterpiece. It utilizes the Qwik Lock Filter system that ensures quick and easy switching between wet and dry cleaning. Besides, its massive drain allows the tank to empty quickly for faster vacuuming.
Check out the large 7-inch long (2.5-inch diameter) hose that’s strengthened with dual-flex for superior crush resistance. Also, note that the vac comes with a car nozzle, wet nozzle, and utility nozzle. Onboard hose storage and power cord and accessory organizers make storage easy.
- Great suction
- Has floater that turns motor off when the tank is full
- Onboard tool storage options are highly convenient
- Strong, highly durable build
- Very sturdy; doesn’t flip when pulled by the hose
- It’s a bit bulky
- Comes with only one disposable filter bag
7. Tineco iFloor Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
By: TinecoGet it now on Amazon.com
Although Tineco is a rather young manufacturer, is has provided the market with unique and respectable vacuum cleaners that awe many users. Tineco iFloor is a 3-in-1 cordless, clear-cut designed wet dry vac that allows you to clean most effortlessly and enjoyably. One of the cleaner’s primary selling points is its innovative and lightweight yet highly efficient design. You will use it immediately you take it out of the box, unlike other vacs for which you have to read the manual twice before starting to use them.
Also, Tineco iFloor also has a self-cleaning function that cleans the brush roll quickly and thoroughly. Separate clean and dirty water dual tanks enable the vac to vacuum and wash as well as suck large particles simultaneously. You have less to worry about cleaning the vac after cleanup.
- Great versatility – can clean marble, sealed wood, laminate, linoleum other floor types.
- Comes with an anti-bacterial and sanitizing solution that’s safe for children and pets
- Easy to maintain with the self-cleaning function
- High maneuverability since its lightweight and cordless
- Spot mode removes stubborn stains and dirt with 50% more speed
- Cannot be used for heavy-duty workshop vacuuming
6. WORKSHOP WS1600SS Wet Dry Vacuum Cleaner Stainless Steel
By: WORKSHOP Wet/Dry VacsGet it now on Amazon.com
If you are looking for a wet-dry vacuum cleaner to use under the harshest conditions, WORKSHOP WS1600SS is the real deal. Compared to other vacs we have reviewed, this vac packs the largest drum – a 16-gallon stainless steel tank. The cleaner is supported by a mobile cart with large rear wheels for stability during movement on rough terrain.
This top of the line vacuum cleaner has a powerful motor that delivers suction high enough to pick up about one gallon of water per second. As expected, a large hose is required to get the work done. Moreover, the hose is 7-foot long and has a diameter of 2.5 inches, and a 20-feet power cord provides plenty of reaches.
Also, the vacuum cleaner comes with two extension wands, onboard storage bag, and fine dust filter. It has a 5-year limited warranty.
- Excellent wet/dry cleaning performance
- High quality and professional-looking build
- Strong motor and amazing suction
- Extra-large stainless tank
- Auto shut off system
- 7-ft dual flex anti-clogging hose
- Very bulky
- Expensive replacement filters
Read Also: Top 10 Best Multi-Position Ladders in 2020
5. Shop-Vac 5989300 5-Gallon Wet Dry Vacuum
By: Shop-VacGet it now on Amazon.com
Are you irritated by dirt, grass or leaves in hard-to-reach places? Shop-Vac 5989300 is a powerful wet dry vacuum for cleaning up dry and wet messes in workshops, garages, and basements. This vacuum cleaner is not as big as the WORKSHOP WS1600SS we’ve just reviewed. It weighs about 15 pounds. Also, it uses a stainless tank with a capacity of 5 gallons.
A 4.5 HP motor is strong enough to blow dirt, grass, and leaves out of those hard-to-reach areas on your sidewalk. Moreover, general attachment tools and accessories include a 7-ft hose, 6-ft power cord, three extension wands, a floor nozzle, gulper nozzle, and a crevice tool.
- Excellent suction power with low motor noise
- Easy-rolling casters for portability
- Easy to clean, highly-durable stainless steel tank
- Has a drain; you don’t have to move around with a heavy tank filled with sucked up water
- 4.5 HP motor enables the vacuum to complete cleaning tasks quickly
- Ergonomic handle
- Hose tends to clog when dealing with debris from a construction site
- The power cord is relatively shorter
4. BISSELL Crosswave Pet Pro 2306A
By: BissellGet it now on Amazon.com
You are a proud owner of a pet, and you want to make sure that the house is always clean and healthy. This BISSELL CrossWave Pet Pro 2306A is a great tool to have.
It is a multi-surface cleaning system that washes and vacuums at the same time. With a pet brush roll that rotates at 3000RPM and a pet hair strainer for a quick and thorough cleanup, this vac is explicitly made to save pet owners from all cleaning hassles. The cleaner eliminates pet odors.
But that’s not all BISSELL CrossWave Pet Pro 2306A is. You can switch to vacuuming hard floors and area rugs with the flip of a button. The multi-surface pet brush roll uses microfiber and nylon. The materials enable it to mop, vacuum, and pick up debris simultaneously on various types of floors.
Besides, buying this vacuum cleaner also allows you to contribute to a great course – saving pets. BISSELL donates as much as $10 to the BISSELL PET FOUNDATION for each pet product purchased.
- Long power cord – 25 inches
- Easy wet/dry cleaning for area rugs and all types of floors
- Febreze freshness eliminates pet odors
- Dual tank technology
- Easy to use and maintain
- Makes a little noise
- Cannot be used for outdoor cleaning or on flooded basements
3. BISSELL CrossWave Floor and Carpet Cleaner, 1785A
By: BissellGet it now on Amazon.com
Exceptional cleaning requires an excellent vacuum cleaner. Bissell CrossWave 1785A offers not only the assurance of a tried, tested, and trusted vacuum cleaner brand but also superior features that deliver exceptional performance. A single pass of this cleaner over a hard floor or area rug leaves a thorough, also, clean look thanks to the 3500 RPM dual-action output of its brush roll. Its fast and efficient cleaning rate is accounted for by a strong motor, two-tank system, HEPA-grade filter, digital control, and time-saving functions. Hence, the cleaner is suitable for household and light-duty commercial applications.
- Reputable brand
- Smart touch controls
- Easy to clean detachable dual brush
- Great suction power
- Dual-tank system for faster cleaning
- Easily portable
- Short cord
- Can be noisy during application
- A few users find it heavy to carry
Read Also: Top 10 Best Ash Vacuums in 2020
2. Vacmaster, VF408 Wet/Dry Shop Vacuum
By: VacmasterGet it now on Amazon.com
We chose Vacmaster, VF408 for the runners-up position due to its power, versatility, and durability. Whether for home or office indoor and outdoor cleaning, this premium-grade vacuum cleaner is perfect in many aspects. Sucking up spilled liquid from carpets is a breeze for this wet dry cleaner. Its suction power is above average, being driven by a 5 HP industrial motor. Consequently, it cleans up ground-in dirt and severe stains on your floors effortlessly.
The vac uses a 4-gallon Polypropylene tank, 15-ft power cord, 7-ft hose, and a washable cartridge filter. Moreover, it comes with foam filter sleeve, a crevice tool, floor nozzle, a dust collection bag, HEPA material exhaust filter, an accessory caddy, and three extension wands.
- Compact and quiet
- Smoothly shifts from dry to wet vacuuming
- Heavy-duty casters for hassle-free transportation
- Extra-long cord allows free movement over large areas
- Very efficient on different surfaces
- Affordable price
- The machine is not wall mountable
- Filter issues may prevent sufficient suction
1. Armor All, AA255 Wet/Dry Utility Shop Vacuum
By: ArmorAllGet it now on Amazon.com
Our pick for the top wet dry vacuum cleaner is the Armor All, AA255. This model offers everything you’d need in a vacuum cleaner for at-home use. First, it is a portable cleaning system with sufficient power for easy, quick, and neat cleaning. Secondly, this very inexpensive vacuum cleaner can handle wet and dry pickup and can double up as a blower. Besides, you can use it to clean car interiors, blow car grills and wheels, and dry motorcycles.
Essential features include a 2.5-gallon polypropylene tank, two peak HP motor, 10-ft cord with cord wrap, conversion blower function, and onboard accessory and hose storage. Also noteworthy, the cleaner has an auto shut off feature to prevent air overflow.
It comes with useful accessories such as blower nozzle, utility nozzle, detail brush, and crevice tool. Armor AII AA255 is made to save you time, energy, and money on all light wet/dry vacuuming and blowing tasks.
- Small, compact, and lightweight
- Highly versatile
- Affordable solution for all light cleaning needs
- Built-in air and noise diffuser allows for quiet and efficient operation
- Doesn’t take up much storage space
- Easy to maintain
- No assembly required
- Long hose
- Short power cord
- It’s only great for light cleaning applications
As the reviews above clearly show, what you intend to use the vacuum cleaner for dictates your choice. While Armor All AA255, Vacmaster VF408, and the two Bissell CrossWave selections are great for light cleaning tasks, Shop-Vac 5989300 and WORKSHOP WS1600SS are perfect choices for heavier cleaning applications.
With this vacuum cleaner you choose from this list, you are rest assured that it is from a trusted brand that has proved itself reliable in the market.