Hard drive enclosures are mostly used to connect external drives to one or multiple computers. Their design allows them to give people the ability to increase storage. Therefore, it is easy to enable backups or store your movies without eating up computer memory. With 2.5 Inch and 3.5-inch hard drive enclosures, it becomes crucial to choose the right one. This gives every user the ability to mount your drive smoothly.
Usually, 3.5 inches drive holders are ideal addition to increase ease of connectivity to your machine. Creating an external storage drive with enclosures allows for more flexibility and space. Additionally, these enclosures come with versatile connection interfaces. However, USB powered holder ensure ease connectivity with most machines. To provide flexibility and more storage space, you need one of these 3.5-inch hard drive holders reviewed below.
The Best 3.5-Inch Hard Drive Enclosures Buying Guide
Getting your perfect docking station requires you to look at different features. However, for beginners, here are the top things to consider when buying.
- Drive connectivity: The connectivity is superb consideration when buying an enclosure. Since we have different configurations, there is a need to have the right drive holder. Usually, connectivity is through USB, eSATA, and Ethernet. Depending on the make of your docking station, some come with all connection options. However, others provide single or dual connectivity options.
- Type of drive: The type of drive is another vital feature that people consider. Usually, we have an IDE and SATA drives. Typically, SATA drives connect through ½ inch wide cables. Contrary, IDE drives connects via 2-inch wide ribbon cable. The easiest way to know your computer drive type, it is good to read the user manual.
- Number of drive bays: The number of bays is essential in ensuring you can mount needed drives. Usually, a common enclosure has a single mounting bay. However, there are others with 2 and 4 bays. They are great since they ensure you can mount and use more drives at once. Ideally, choose a docking station with an independently controlled bay.
- Inbuilt fans: Cooling your drives is vital to keep your data secure. It is, therefore, essential to choose enclosures with cooling fans. Most of the docking stations with more than one drive bays come with fans. However, there are others with a single bay and has a cooling fan. The presence of a cooling mechanism ensures there is superb drive cooling.
Best 3.5-Inch Hard Drive Enclosures in 2021
- 10. SISUN Aluminum USB 3.0 5 bay 3.5’’ SATA HDD Enclosure Support
- 9. Mediasonic ProRaid 3.5” SATA Hard Drive Enclosure, 2 Bays
- 8. ORICO USB 3.0 to SATA HDD Docking Station
- 7. Inateck 3.5-Inch Aluminum USB 3.0 SATA HDD Enclosure
- 6. Mediasonic ProBox K32-SU3 3.5-Inch SATA HDD Enclosure
- 5. Vantec 3.5″ SATA to USB 3.0/eSATA HDD Enclosure
- 4. SISUN 2.5″ / 3.5″ IDE SATA Hard Drive All-in-One Docking Station
- 3. Sabrent USB 3.0 – SATA External HDD Lay-Flat Docking Station
- 2. Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU3S2 3.5’’ 4 Bays Hard Drive Enclosure
- 1. ORICO Toolfree USB 3.0 – SATA 3.5 Hard Drive Enclosure Case
10. SISUN Aluminum USB 3.0 5 bay 3.5’’ SATA HDD Enclosure Support
The Sisun 5 bay HDD enclosure is right to keep all your storage needs catered. Unlike other enclosures, this has more bays, which allows it to accommodate 5 drives. Amazingly, each of the bay is capable of supporting 12 TB drives. Purposely created to fit 3.5 inches SATA drives, it can support most machine compatibility. The connection is through USB 3.0, which is several times faster than version 2.0.
The construction is outstanding, which enables it to support drives without safety compromise. Made of aluminum materials, the compartment is highly durable and lightweight. Each of the bay has independent, which allows easy usage. Therefore, when in need of one drive, you can power it individually. To protect data from unauthorized access, the enclosure has a locking mechanism. Mounting the drives is tools free, which means there is no hassle. Thus, everyone can mount drives easily. The aluminum casing and inbuilt fans ensure there is superb cooling.
- Efficient heat dissipation
- Multiple quick connections
- Tool-free drives mounting
- Independently operated drives
- Loud when not filled with drives
9. Mediasonic ProRaid 3.5” SATA Hard Drive Enclosure, 2 Bays
If you have internal drives you want to use, Mediasonic Pro is the ultimate enclosure. Its right option designed for 3.5 inches SATA HDD. Unlike the older enclosures, this provides dual bays. Each has a capacity of 14TB, which renders it handy for most people. Whether it’s for back up, gaming, or movie storage, no more, it’s a convenient drive enclosure. Moreover, the dock has an embedded raid controller, which improved data integrity. With the ability to support SATAI, II, and III, it has extra fast data transfer. Amazingly, it can achieve 3.6Gbps, which is suitable for massive data transfer.
Besides, the system comes with USB 3.0, which is superb for keeping data transfer excellent. It can support up to 5.0Gbps as well as eSATA that supports 6.0Gbps. These combinations of ports enable the holder to enjoy great versatility and compatibility. Enhanced with LED indicator, it helps to show when the system is running.
- Multiple data transfer support
- Metal casing
- Efficient cooling fan
- The ribbon cable blocks the fan
8. ORICO USB 3.0 to SATA HDD Docking Station
A hard drive docking station is one of the best ways to mount your drives easily. Especially when you have an internal drive, it becomes easy to use it with the right enclosure. The Orico USB to SATA docking station is a versatile choice. It can support 2.5-Inch and 3.5-Inch drives. This ensures people can dock different drives without any difficulties. There are no hitches when it comes to mounting since it takes less than 5 seconds. This is because no more tools needed to install the drive into the docking station.
The compact nature of this enclosure renders it suitable for home as well as office use. Therefore, whether its organization data or moves and games, now you have more storage ability. The station is capable of holding drives with a maximum of 8TB each. This results in 16TB drives, which enable you to store all your content conveniently.
- Multiple size docking ability
- Compact and light
- Backward compatibility
- Functional design
- Shorter cables
7. Inateck 3.5-Inch Aluminum USB 3.0 SATA HDD Enclosure
Are you struggling to keep your data in your hard drive? There are no more hassles when you get this aluminum enclosure from Inateck. The docking station is slim and simple to place in all places. There is no more large space needed when having this unit. Created with 3.5 inches drive bay, it ensures you get a specific docking station. Also, multiple connection options provide ease connection to computers. Amazingly, USB 3.0 connectivity enables super speed 5Gbps data transfer.
Apart from the USB connectivity, the machine has Built-in ASM1153E chipset. They are enabled to support SATA III hence ideal for up to 6Gbps. Having this device allows for multi-operating systems compatibility. In can work flawlessly with Windows, Linux, and Mac OS without downloading drivers. With exterior having a layer of PU leather coating, it’s slip-resistant and protects the unit from scratches.
- PU leather coating
- Lightweight aluminum casing
- Non-slip rubber pads
- Supports hot-swap
- Has single drive bay
6. Mediasonic ProBox K32-SU3 3.5-Inch SATA HDD Enclosure
With Mediasonic ProBox K32-SU3, it is now possible to increase your data capacity. It allows fitting all 3.5 inches SATA hard drives without a struggle. The connection to your computer is simple since it has USB ports. Moreover, it can work with USB 3.0 and backward compatibility with USB 2.0 and 1.1. 12 volts DC powers the device. Additionally, it comes with a wall adapter that eases your plugging.
The On/Off function button helps to control the docking station. It also has an LED indicator that ensures you are aware of when it’s operating. Due to the USB 3.0, the dock has superb 5.0Gbps transfer speed. Therefore, as you plan to back up your data or transfer movies, it’s a great enclosure to have. The massive capacity support lets you plug up to 10TB drive on this enclosure.
- LED power indicator
- Plug and play on Mac and PC
- Backward compatibility
- Has no cloning feature
5. Vantec 3.5″ SATA to USB 3.0/eSATA HDD Enclosure
Vantec SATA to USB 3.0 delivers all the speed you need for quick data transfer. The slim and sleek designed dock is suited to make your data storage nightmares easy. Designed with SATA III specifications, it also supports backward compatibility. Therefore, you can plug into a computer with SATA II /I. Interestingly, the device is capable of supporting large data transfer. This is because it can achieve up to 6Gbps speed. With easy linking to your HDD, it doesn’t need tools to mount.
The outer shell is made to ensure there is fast heat dissipation. It’s made of aluminum material, which creates superb weight reduction and protection. Apart from keeping the drive cool, the aluminum casing is crisp and gives your desk a sleek look. With sleep function, it stops the drive function once the system isn’t in use. Above all, for this drive to perform excellently, it is compatible with windows 8.1 and 10.
- Sleek aluminum shell
- Simple to install a drive
- Extra stable platform
- Drive sled is plastic made
4. SISUN 2.5″ / 3.5″ IDE SATA Hard Drive All-in-One Docking Station
Docking drives in the right enclosure enables users to enjoy a superb experience. This all in one hub is tasked to hold different types of drives. Whether hard drives, TF cards, and Micro SD, it has all the ports. Amazingly, the hub allows people to enjoy diverse storage options. Additionally, it can hold a laptop as well as desktop drives. This is because it has a 2.5/3.5 inch bays. Unlike other enclosures, this has a simple docking mechanism. You only need to slide your drives, and they are in position.
The plug and play, as well as hot swapping, make the docking station amazing. It ensures you can easily install and remove drives without switching off. Also, the LED indicator ensures you know when the station is on. Furthermore, with high compatibility, it can work with a variety of operating systems. Despite the large drives holding ability, the dock is super compact.
- Versatile drives compatibility
- Different connectors compatible
- Compact and low profile
- No cloning function
3. Sabrent USB 3.0 – SATA External HDD Lay-Flat Docking Station
Keeping your desk organized with clattering calls for compact accessories. Well, for people looking to enjoy more storage spaces, here is a small docking station by Sab rent. It’s a lay-flat enclosure that increases drive safety. Unlike others, this lies on the broad part, which increases stability. Additionally, it can accommodate 2.5 as well as 3.5 inches desktop drives. Therefore, it eliminates the need to remove internal drive once you have more data to add or transfer.
Once your drive is enclosed, there is no more risk of overheating. The docking station has an inbuilt fan that allows efficient cooling. Incredibly, the device allows hot swapping and is plug and play. No drivers needed and can work with different machines. Although the enclosure supports high-speed USB 3.0, it also allows reversing to USB2.0 and 1.1.
- Inbuilt cooling fan
- Reverse compatible connectivity
- Stable and non-skid bottom
- Reduces air inflow
2. Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU3S2 3.5’’ 4 Bays Hard Drive Enclosure
The Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU3S2 is a large docking station with 4 bays. It enables people to make a storage station and enjoy efficient data retrieval and storage. Unlike earlier dock stations, this has superb 16TB capacity on each bay. This enables users to achieve up to 64TB of memory. As a result, whether you love games, series, and other stuff, no falling out of storage. Additionally, the dock is handy for people with massive data to save. With capacity support to SATA 6Gbps transfer rate, the docking station is extra fast.
To keep the enclosure working consistently, it has four built-in fans. They are robust and reliable to ensure there is excellent cold air. For people with 2.5 inches SSD or HDD, it is possible to use the dock station but with adapters. With each drive having an indicator, it is possible to switch On/Off individual drives.
- Excellent cooling fans
- Fitted thermal sensors
- eSATA and USB interface compatible
- Requires larger space
1. ORICO Toolfree USB 3.0 – SATA 3.5 Hard Drive Enclosure Case
The Orico hard drive enclosure helps you to turn internal drives to external storage devices. It’s a compact and lightweight enclosure that is simple to carry. Unlike other docking stations, this has broad drives compatibility. It can support 3.5 inches SATA SSD and HDD with up to 12TB. Thus, there are no more adapters needed to ease drive mounting. Despite the versatility, there is no tool required to fix your drive.
The USB 3.0 is the solution to ending slow data speed. It gives your drive up to 5Gbps, which is excellent for massive data moving. The construction features ABS and metal materials that combine to improve station integrity. With an installed sponge, it acts as a shock absorber, hence suitable to shield your drive against drops and vibrations.
- Efficient shock absorption
- No reboot needed
- Strong ABS and metal body
- Doesn’t support UASP
3.5 inches hard drives disk docking stations are great and simple ways to enjoy more space. They are simple to use and mostly doesn’t involve complex processes. Therefore, to solve huge data menace, these hard drive enclosures are reliable and excellent.